The Mooney Shearing Disk Viscometer and the Oscillating Disk Rheometer (ODR) have similar operating principals … the Mooney rotates, while the Rheometer oscillates, a rotor embedded in the test sample … as well as many common mechanical and electrical components.
It followed that an innovative and inventive company would develop an instrument that performs both tests. It also follows that a creative and logical outgrowth of such inventiveness and innovation would be an instrument that not only performed both the function of an Oscillating Disk Rheometer and a Mooney Viscometer … but a Moving Die Rheometer (MDR) as well … THREE instruments in ONE!
Such innovative creativity and inventiveness resides within the CCSi organization, and they have developed such an instrument!
The XDR®, developed by CCSi, performs the individual functions of an Oscillating Disk Rheometer, Mooney Viscometer and a Moving Die Rheometer, quite uniquely, using a series of interchangeable modules.
The unique “heated rotor” design of the XDR® in the Oscillating Disk Rheometer configuration provides test results that are, in many ways, similar to those achieved with many of the Moving Die Rheometers in use today! This gives R&D the capability of comparing Oscillating Disk Rheometer “heated rotor” results to those of the standard Oscillating Disk Rheometer “cold rotor” at the flip of a switch!
These results can then be compared to Mooney Viscometer results or Moving Die Rheometer results … ON THE SAME INSTRUMENT … by simply exchanging the applicable modules!
The individual modules, and their interchangeability, are discussed, in brief, on the other XDR® pages, and at length in the article “Innovations”.
- Modular component system reduces maintenance cost and improves serviceability;
- Exchangeable die and rotor systems;
- Patented ODR “Heated Rotor” design;
- One Instrument, Three Configurations greatly reduces initial investment;
- Computerized data acquisition & analysis system;
- Viscometer Module complies with ASTM D1646, ISO 289 (replaced ISO/R 289), BS ISO 289-4, BS 903-A59 & BS 903-A58 (replaced BS 1673);
- Rheometer Module complies with ASTM D2084, ISO 3417, & BS 903-A60 (replaced BS 1673);
- MDR Module is compatible with ASTM D5289 & ISO 6502;
- Microsoft® Windows Operating System;
- Pentium® Processor & Intel® chipset;
- Raw data stored for easy retrieval or transfer;
- Standard and User defined test parameters;
- Real time display of test data and parameters;
- Operator selectable presentation of data in printed, graphed or overlay formats;
- Computerized PID temperature management systems;
- Automatic system calibration;
- Hi—Tech torque measurement system;
- Computerized calibration and verification (no mechanical adjustments necessary);
- Automatic mechanical deflection corrections;
- Superior ability to detect differences in compounds and raw polymers;
- Tabletop design conserves precious laboratory space!
- 0.1 to 200 lb/in
- 0.1 to 200 Mooney Units
- Selectable Test Times:
- 0.0 to 99 minutes
- Selectable Temperature Range:
- Ambient to 225 C°
- Angular Displacement:
- ± 0.5°, 1°, 3°, 6° (ODR/MDR)
- 360° Rotation (Viscometer)
- 160 kg (352.8 lb.)
- Space Requirements:
- Instrument: 610 x 610 x 1220 mm (24 x 24 x 48 in.)
- Computer: 300 x 610 x 710 mm (varies) (12 x 24 x 27 in.)
- Monitor: 410 x 410 x 410 mm (varies) (16 x 16 x 16 in.)
Please visit the individual MDR, ODR and Viscometer pages for brief technical descriptions. The detailed technical aspects of the XDR® are examined at length in the article titled “Innovations”.
ASTM D1646, D1646, Standard Test Methods for Rubber — Viscosity, Stress Relaxation, and Pre – Vulcanization Characteristics (Mooney Viscometer), Mooney Viscometer, viscometer, curing characteristics, Mooney, stress relaxation, viscosity, vulcanization characteristics, 83.060, rubber cure, shearing disk, viscosity, pre-vulcanization characteristics, Delta Mooney value, defined shear rate, Oscillating Disk Rheometer, ASTM D2084, D2084, Standard Test Method for Rubber Property – Vulcanization Using Oscillating Disk Cure Meter, compounds, ODR, oscillating disk cure meter, oscillating disk curemeter, oscillating disk rheometer, vulcanization characteristics, rheometer, ASTM D5289, D5289, Standard Test Method for Rubber Property — Vulcanization Using Rotorless Cure Meters, Moving Die Rheometer, MDR, curemeters, rotorless cure meter, rotorless curemeter, ASTM D6601, D6601, Standard Test Method for Rubber Properties – Measurement of Cure and After – Cure Dynamic Properties Using a Rotorless Shear Rheometer, dynamic properties, loss modulus, rotorless oscillating shear rheometer, storage modulus, rubber, rheology, cure behavior, ISO 6721, ISO 3417, ISO 6502, ISO/R 289, ISO 289, BS 903, BS ISO 6502, BS ISO 289-4